Updated for 2023
The ancient Roman Colosseum is Rome’s most visited sites and one of Italy’s top tourist attractions. It’s best to buy tickets in advance or reserve your time slot (if you have a pass such as Roma Pass, reservation is required). The ticket has a specific entrance time for the Colosseum and currently also includes the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill (good for 24 hours).
- Buy Colosseum, Roman Forum, + Palatine Hill skip-the-line tickets.
- Or take a Skip the Line: Premium Colosseum Tour with Roman Forum & Palatine Hill.
- Colosseum tickets can also be bought directly on the Coop Culture website, however they are only released 30 days prior to each day and sell out very quickly.
Note: Guided tours skip the ticket line and usually go through a faster security line
Colosseum Underground and Arena Floor Guided Tours
Parts of the Colosseum that were formerly off limits to visitors can now be seen on special guided tours. These tours visit the arena floor and/or underground, below the floor, where wild animals and gladiators were kept before battles.
- Take a VIP Colosseum Underground Tour with Roman Forum & Palatine Hill for access to the lowest level. or a shorter Colosseum and Arena Floor Small Group Tour after which you can explore the Colosseum, Forum, and Palatine Hill on your own.
Colosseum Night Tours
A great way to visit the Colosseum is on a VIP Colosseum At Night Tour With Underground & Arena Floor, available from May through October. See the Colosseum when it’s closed to the public and not as hot or crowded as during the day.
Colosseum Tickets and Tours
- Explore more Colosseum tickets and tours
Security Measures at the Colosseum
Security measures now require all visitors (including those with skip-the-line passes or on guided tours) to go through a metal detector. So even though you won’t have to wait in the ticket line, you will have to wait in the security line. Backpacks, trolleys, and luggage are not permitted inside the Colosseum and there is no place to store them. Waiting time to go through security can be as long as half an hour or even more at peak times.
- Tip: Guided tours have special priority entrance so if you book a tour, the line to go through security is usually shorter.
Plan Your Visit to RomeWhere to Stay:
- Hotel Palazzo Manfredi has a rooftop terrace with view of the Colosseum and some rooms have views of the Roman Forum. The hotel is one of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World.
- Il Monastero Collection is in a beautiful historic building near the Palatine Hill, Roman Forum and Circus Maximus.
- JK Place is a top contemporary boutique hotel, well located between the Pantheon and Spanish Steps.
- Hotel Residenza di Ripetta is in a former monastery with inner courtyard, between Piazza del Popolo and the Spanish Steps.
- Hotel Residenza in Farnese is a comfortable hotel on Piazza Farnese, near Campo de Fiori.
- See more Rome Hotels
Make the most of 1 day in Rome with Walks of Italy’s Rome In A Day Tour with Vatican, Colosseum & Historic Center.
Rome Guide Books:
See more recommended Rome books.
More Roman Ruins and Monuments
- 5 Top Monuments to See in Rome
- 5 Underground Ancient Roman Sites
- Get away from the crowds in these Quiet Places in Rome
- Take an easy day trip to the ruins of Rome’s ancient port, Ostia Antica
This post may contain affiliate links to sites I believe are of benefit to travelers. There is no cost to you but the small amount of revenue helps defer the cost of bringing you this free information.