In Rome, ticket lines can be long and buying tickets for individual sites and attractions can be costly. By buying combo passes, you won’t have to wait in ticket lines or carry around cash and you’ll often save money too.
When planning your sight-seeing and which pass to buy, keep in mind that most museums are closed on Mondays, January 1, May 1, and December 25. National Museums and archaeological sites have free admission the first Sunday of the month.
Combination Tickets, Cards, and Passes
Colosseum and Roman Forum Pass is one of the top Rome tickets you should buy in advance. Starting in March, 2019, you must buy your tickets or reserve an entrance time in advance. The combo pass includes the Forum and Palatine Hill and is currently good for 2 days.
Or skip the ticket line and get through security more quickly with a small group guided tour. Use promo code ITALYMARTHA for 5% off these tours:
Omnia Vatcian and Rome Card gives you priority access to Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel (no waiting in ticket line), an audio guide for Saint Peter’s Basilica, and transportation on the Open Bus Roma Cristiana (hop-on, hop-off sight-seeing bus) for 24 hours. Cards for 3-days have additions that include 2 free entrances to sites in Rome, priority entrance to main heritage sites, and Rome bus transportation.
- Buy a 3-day Omnia Vatican and Rome Card from Viator in US dollars. Cards are also availalble at several locations including the airport, Termini train station, Saint Peter’s Square, and Basilica of Saint John Lateran, or through the Omnia web site for pick-up at one of the offices.
Roma Pass is good for 48 or 72 hours and includes public transportation in Rome, free admission to 1 or 2 museums or archaeological sites, and discounts for other sites and exhibitions. The kit also includes a map with opening times of sites, a guide, and a downloadable app. With the Roma Pass you still need to reserve an entrance time for the Colosseum. This pass does not include the Vatican Museums.
- Buy a pass on the Roma Pass web site or at tourist offices in Rome and the airport. Or buy a Roma Pass with Sight-seeing Bus Tour on the hop-on hop-off bus from Viator.
Rome Archaeologia Card is good for a single entrance to each of the 10 archaeological sites and museums on the card including the Colosseum, Forum, Palatine Hill and Museum, Baths of Caracalla, Tomb of Cecilia Metella on the Appia Antica, Villa dei Quintili, and the 4 national museums (Palazzo Altemps, Palazzo Massimo, Crypta Balbi, and Terme di Diocleziano).
- Buy a card at the ticket office of any of the sites (so it’s probably best to buy it somewhere else before going to the Colosseum). They are good for 7 days from the date of purchase.
Rome Transportation Passes can be used on all city buses and trams, the metro, and some local rail lines. It does not include airport transportation or hop-on hop-off sightseeing buses. You can buy a pass good for 24, 48, or 72 hours or 7 days. You can buy passes many places in Rome including tabacchi, news stands, vending machines, and some metro stations.
- Important: you must validate (stamp) your transit ticket or pass when you use it as there is no date already on the ticket. If your pass is not validated with a date stamp, you could be fined.
Rome Travel Planning
- Use promo code ITALYMARTHA for 5% off most small group tours (except Colosseum underground) with the Roman Guy
- Compare Prices and Book Rome hotels.
- Find out about Rome trains, rail stations, and buying train tickets on Rail Europe.
- Find out how to get around the city with our Rome Transportation Map
- See the top sights with this Rome 2-day itinerary
This post may contain affiliate links to sites I believe are of benefit to travelers. There is no cost to you but the small amount of revenue helps defer the cost of bringing you this free information.