Italy is the perfect place for a womenâ€™s getaway, whether youâ€™re a group of friends traveling together, a multi-generational family, or taking a solo trip. Susan Van Allen is an expert on activities and adventures for women. Use her books to help you plan your trip or better yet, join one of her one-week womenâ€™s only Golden Weeks for an optimal experience.
Susan Van Allen has spent more than 30 years traveling in Italy, often with girlfriends or her sisters. She uses her experience to create golden days and golden weeks for women, filled with special activities. Her goal is to help women experience la Dolce Vita in Italy.
What’s a Golden Day? Susan says, Golden days are easy to come by when you’re in Italy. They’re those days when Italy’s sensual pleasures harmonize, and you just bask in the glow of it all.
Golden Weeks with Susan Van Allen
Each year Susan plans several week-long trips to a popular part of Italy for women only. For example, in 2018 she has 3 Golden Weeks: one to Val dâ€™Orcia in Tuscany, one to Venice, and another to Sorrento in Southern Italy. These fun tours are custom designed with women in mind and led by Susan herself.
On a Golden Week tour, youâ€™ll stay in a luxury hotel in one place for the whole week, take guided tours to nearby places, enjoy activities such as cooking classes and wine tastings, and have special days for shopping, a spa visit, or free time. Group size is limited to 14 so you wonâ€™t feel lost in a big group. Tours are led by women and often have a female focus, such as women artists on a visit to a museum.
Iâ€™ve had several fun adventures with Susan and highly recommend her for arranging an unforgettable experience.
Italy Books with Susan Van Allen
- 100 Places in Italy Every Woman Should Go is a great resource to help you plan your ideal trip. Susan details 100 golden days â€“ where to go, what to do, where to eat â€“ with appealing activities for women. Whether youâ€™re looking for a perfect spa day, beach day, or an artisan crafts shopping day, Susan knows where to send you. Also included in each day are suggested places to stay and where to eat. You can easily plan your itinerary with this book.
- 50 Places in Italy Every Woman Should Go is designed for women planning to visit only the 3 most popular cities. So youâ€™ll have 50 Golden Days from which to choose.
- Letters from Italy: Confessions, Adventures, and Advice is an entertaining collection of anecdotes from Susanâ€™s travels.
Tips from Susan:
- Donâ€™t travel with a huge suitcase thatâ€™s hard to get upstairs, like I did in this photo.
- Ostello Cinque Terre in Manarola (at the top of these stairs) is a great place to stay away from tourist crush. It has dorm rooms or private rooms and a shared rooftop terrace.
- See Susan Van Allenâ€™s web site for more about her, Golden Days, and Golden Weeks.