The ancient Roman Colosseum is Rome’s most visited site and one of Italy’s top tourist attractions. You must buy tickets in advance or reserve your time slot (even with a pass such as Roma Pass). The ticket has a specific entrance time for the Colosseum and currently also includes the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill.
- Buy Colosseum, Roman Forum, + Palatine Hill skip-the-line tickets or take a Skip the Line: Premium Colosseum Tour with Roman Forum & Palatine Hill.
- Colosseum Tour with Roman Forum
- Colosseum Highlights with Roman Forum and Palatine Hill
- Express Colosseum Tour – a 1 hour tour for those without much time
Note: Guided tours skip the ticket line plus go through a faster security line
In 2020 there’s a new Colosseum ticket called the Full Experience. Good for 2 days it includes entrance to the Colosseum with access to the Arena or Underground, the Roman Forum-Palatine Hill including the special Super Sites, and the Imperial Forums.
Colosseum Upper and Lower Levels Guided Tours
Parts of the Colosseum that were formerly off limits to visitors can now be seen on special guided tours. These tours visit the belvedere or the lowest level, underneath the floor, where wild animals and gladiators were kept before battles.
- Take a VIP Colosseum Underground Tour with Roman Forum & Palatine Hill for access to the lowest level or a Belvedere Tour for access to the upper levels with great views.
- Or get a 5% discount on this Privileged Entrance Colosseum Arena Floor and Roman Forum Tour
Colosseum Night Tours and Tours for Kids
An interesting way to visit the Colosseum is on a VIP Colosseum At Night Tour With Underground & Arena Floor, available from May through October. See the Colosseum when it’s closed to the public and visit the underground area.
Security Measures at the Colosseum
Security measures now require all visitors (including those with skip-the-line passes or on guided tours) to go through a metal detector. So even though you won’t have to wait in the ticket line, you will have to wait in the security line. Backpacks, trolleys, and luggage are not permitted inside the Colosseum and there is no place to store them. Waiting time to go through security can be as long as an hour or even more since only 3000 people are allowed inside at one time.
- Tip: Guided tours have special priority entrance so if you book a tour, the line to go through security is usually shorter.
Plan Your Visit to RomeWhere to Stay:
- JK Place is a top contemporary boutique hotel, well located between the Pantheon and Spanish Steps.
- Hotel Residenza di Ripetta is in a former monastery with inner courtyard, between Piazza del Popolo and the Spanish Steps.
- Hotel Residenza in Farnese is a comfortable hotel on Piazza Farnese, near Campo de Fiori.
- See more Rome Hotels
Make the most of 1 day in Rome with Walks of Italy’s Rome In A Day Tour with Vatican, Colosseum & Historic Center or see the city’s highlights on your own with this 2 day itinerary of top sights.
Rome Guide Books:
- National Geographic Walking Rome: the Best of the City
- Top 10 Rome (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)
- Rick Steves Pocket Rome
See more recommended Rome books.
More Roman Ruins and Monuments
- 5 Top Monuments to See in Rome
- 5 Underground Ancient Roman Sites
- Get away from the crowds in these Quiet Places in Rome
- Take an easy day trip to the ruins of Rome’s ancient port, Ostia Antica
This post may contain affiliate links to sites I believe are of benefit to travelers. There is no cost to you but the small amount of revenue helps defer the cost of bringing you this free information.